Chocolate Avocado Mousse
This week we’ve moved away from the peanut butter/oat based treats we’ve been featuring in the past few weeks with this amazing chocolate avocado mousse! When we’re browsing for clean treats of the week we try our best to keep the recipes as simple as possible, because we all know how annoying it is when you see the most amazing clean treat on Pinterest, look at the recipe and it has all sorts of super foods, dates, powders and seeds you’ve never heard of, only stocked in Holland and Barrett and you have to take out another mortgage for your healthy brownies.
Anyway, we loved this avocado mousse, it was simple, rich and delicious, and here’s how to make it yourself! This recipe can be found in The Avocado Cookbook, Heather Thomas.
2 large ripe avocados
3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
few drops of vanilla essence
3 tbsp honey
75g coconut cream
100g reduced sugar dark chocolate
- Halve, stone (pit) and peel the avocados. Scoop out the flesh and put it in a food processor or blender with the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, honey and coconut cream.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Once the chocolate is melted, remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the avocado mixture and blitz with a hand-held blender until throughly mixed, smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into 4 serving glasses and serve with whatever toppings you like! (We used desiccated coconut and strawberries).
- As mentioned in previous blogs honey is packed with antioxidants and often used to combat sickness. Again, dark chocolate has been mentioned in previous clean treat blogs due to it’s antioxidants and ability to assist with weight loss and curb cravings.
- Coconut cream has been proven to improve immunity, provide energy without the high fat content, provides hydration and antioxidants.
- Ok, if you haven’t heard of the health benefits of avocado then you must be living under a rock, avocados are the food of the moment, heres a brief overview of the health benefits; incredibly nutritious, more potassium than a banana, loaded with healthy fats which are good for your heart, packed with fibre, lowers cholesterol, assists with weight loss and finally delicious and easy to incorporate into your diet!